Thursday 9 January 2014

I Quit Sugar!!!

My name is Liza and I'm a sugarholic.  I just can't get enough.  As soon as Hayden and Deacon go for their naps I literally sprint to the kitchen for my "treats".  It's my absolute favourite time of day!!  I sit and relax with my sugary snack of choice and then I eat it in 1 bite.  Then I keep going back for more until someone wakes up from their nap.  Basically I'm a nap-time sugar binger.

Putting this fiendish behaviour into writing makes it sound so much worse than it ever was in my mind!  Sadly, this is the reality of my sugar addiction.  As of Jan.1, 2014 I decided to quit sugar.

The first week was the hardest with all the leftover Christmas sweets still lingering.  Day 1 was actually a breeze.  Day 2 I became acquainted with the addict's evil nemesis, "Mr. Justification".  You hear yourself thinking, "It's so cold out, I NEED hot chocolate!", and "I can't let this baking go to waste!" (Trust me no baking will ever go to waste wherever Tyler is). 

I was able to shake these justifications off for a few days until just a couple nights ago I fell off the wagon.  Tyler and I decided to bust out the KitchenAid stand mixer we got for Christmas.  Ty wanted to make cookies.  Even though I had no intention of enjoying them myself, I still wanted to help.  Alas, my will power crumbled as the first batch of cookies came out of the oven.  I ate one.  Was it worth it?  NOPE!  Anyone close to me has probably heard me complain about my crappy oven in any type of kitchen related conversation.  The temperature is wonky!!  We have to preheat our oven 50 to 100 degrees cooler than what you would normally bake at.  The recipe said 375 degrees, we set it for 275.  They still burnt.  So I fell off the wagon for a burnt hockey puck.  On that topic, nor I or Tyler have never successfully baked anything in our oven.

Besides this slip-up, the hardest part so far was when Tyler disposed of my stash of candy and chocolate that I'd kept on top of the fridge. I actually stared into the garbage in anguish at all the sugar that I would never consume. The strange part is that even though I'd quit sugar, I still wanted the treats in sight. Maybe just to keep my will-power in check. Like James Frey in 'My Friend Leonard' with the bottle of wine.

Now, I intend to maintain my sugar-freedom until my birthday in March.  My will-power is actually pretty solid.  At the store I can easily ignore that aisle with the sleeves of chocolate bars and the bags of fuzzy peaches.  I don't drink pop or even honey in my tea.  I just knew I had to quit because of how mentally unhealthy it feels to crave something so badly and not be able to say no.

My new nap-time treat is a strong cup of chai tea and I just love it.  Of everything I've given up, I'm going to miss my driving coffee the most!  I've decided to spend the extra $3 or whatever at the Itunes store instead.  Not all treats have to be injested!

Faithfully back on the wagon,

Liza ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment