Tuesday 9 September 2014

So Long, Summer

My mind is actually blown at how quickly summer flew by.  Is time not speeding up???  I think so.  I'd like to think we made the most of this summer.  We went camping twice, spent plenty of time in the park, had a number of picnics, and had a few good swims.  It is now apparent that Hayden has inherited Ty's Ukrainian skin since she is already far more tanned than I have ever been in my life, and that's with being sufficiently shielded from the sun so I don't know how that happened.

Fall always just creeps up on us all of a sudden doesn't it!?  August is jumpstarted with this epic long weekend and everything is saturated in sunny summer bliss.  Then 3.5 short weeks later, summer is over and it feels sort of like a nasty trick.

Compared to July with it's full schedule, August was a clean slate.  We totally made our schedule up as we went along and it was really nice.  We listened to lots of live music going on around downtown and The Forks.  Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at The Cube/Old Market Square there were live acts at lunch time so we took advantage of that when we could.  It's easy for us to go downtown on the bus since we live so close to Main Street.  It's literally not even 10 minutes and it's so nice not having to drive around trying to find somewhere to park.  Other than that, we had a few awesome playdates and made some new friends.

Quarry Days weekend was memorable.  I had fully intended to take Hayden to watch the parade and then go on some rides and check out the petting zoo on Saturday morning, BUT the night before Tyler decided to make margaritas which turned out to have way more alcohol in them than it tasted like.  Before he mixed them I strictly said, "Not too strong! I don't want to get drunk!"  I had no idea.  It doesn't help that I've hardly drank anything since before being pregnant.  I felt so horrible the next day, I couldn't do a damn thing and I even lost my hangover KD on the side of #8 hwy (a first for me).  So I layed in bed at the farm all day while my mom and nana played with Deacon.  Tyler took Hayden to the midway.  It worked out in Hayden's favour because I would have never taken her on The Sizzler and let her have mini donuts for supper.  I was magically feeling better at around 7:00 after eating a pickle and so Tyler and I went back to town and went on some rides.

The day after, the kids and I attended a friend's baby shower and it was just beautiful.  I could have easily eaten all the food and cupcakes and even the insanely gorgeous cake that actually looked too lovely to eat.  I've realized that I've become one of those people I hated when Hayden was a newborn.  I'm now obsessed with newborns and babies.  Because I value my friendships, I will totally control my baby hoarding urges.

On August 23rd Tyler's dad got married to his longtime girlfriend, Pete.  It was such a wonderful wedding!  Just a small backyard event.  Everything was so nice and very "them".  The weather was a bit tempermental that day but it ended up cooperating perfectly.

The long weekend was pretty uneventful!  I took Hayden and Deacon down to the Forks for the Prairie Barge Festival on Saturday night.  I hope they continue to organize this event for future summers because I really enjoy it!!  I generally just enjoy The Forks at all times.  Hayden and I would go there quite often when she was around Deacon's age but we had to stop when Hayden got to the age where she wanted to run away from me and apparently never come back.  Just when you think they're out of the stage where they take off running in the opposite direction they go into escape mode when you least expect it.  At least Hayden does.  We had a rather embarrassing run around Target the evening before Tyler's dad's wedding.  Haha.

So now you go outside in the evenings and sniff the air and you know that familiar smell!  It's fall!  For me, it's grain dust - the unmistakable smell of harvest.  The days are getting shorter and the temperatures dip way down at night.  Tyler and I have begun our annual dispute over which window to leave open at night and how wide.

As of right now, we're off to Dollarama to search for birthday supplies for Hayden's 3rd birthday party!  Only one of the many fall birthdays for members of our family.

Happy Fall every one!

XO Liza


No comments:

Post a Comment