Friday 14 February 2014

Just a Thought About Love...

I woke up this morning feeling less than romantic to put it mildly.  Roused from my slumber a whole 2 hours earlier than normal by a shrill "MOMMYYYY!!!", I wasn't all that surprised.  Hayden is currently immersed in an intense 3 day potty training boot camp.  This was my cue to either run a kid to the potty or clean them up.  The latter was the case this morning. 

Feeling too tired to completely change all her bedding, I brought Hayden into my room and said, "Shhhhh.  You can come back to sleep in Mommy's bed but you have to be quiet because Baby Deacon is still sleeping."  Naturally, Hayden felt this was a great topic for early morning chit chat.  I should have known better because the sound of Hayden's voice has always been like an alarm clock to Deacon.  He then started squirming around in his own bed.

Luckily Hayden went back to sleep for another hour but Deacon was up for good.  Man was I ever grouchy having already been up twice with him in the night.  I sat there and stewed bitterly as I tried in vain to make him go back to sleep:  What kind of a Valentines Day is this?  I want breakfast in bed!!  I want chocolates (even though I quit eating chocolate) and flowers!!  Where's my love note on the counter?!?  Boo hoo! 

ANYWAYS... I somehow managed to flip my attitude at 7:30 this morning when I decided that Valentines Day, for me, wouldn't be about showering your significant other with love tokens.  What if, on Valentines Day, we simply celebrated "LOVE" itself?  You don't need to be in a relationship to do it.  Why don't we just take a day to appreciate our capacity to love be it towards our family, friends, community, or even random strangers. 

Love is such a powerful force in this world.  There is no limit to how much love you can hold in your heart.  There is no limit to how much love you can give.  "All things grow with love." has become my mantra as a mom because I may not be a Pinterest queen of crafts, or Betty Crocker in the kitchen, or Molly Maid in the cleanliness department or anything that a stay-at-home-mom typically is.  Hell, I don't even know what I'm doing from one minute to the next!!!  But I can love my kids with everything I have and that will always be enough.

No apologies for my sappiness!  It is Valentines Day after all!  So even though there is no real "romance" in my forseable future, there is an infinite amount of love, and that is reason enough to celebrate on this day.

Happy V-Day Muchachos!! xoxoxox

Liza



No comments:

Post a Comment